Thursday, April 3, 2014

Anime Intensity's Top 20 Anime Openings



           In celebration of reaching 250 subscribers on my Youtube channel, I decided to do something different and exciting on this blog! Today I am rambling bringing you my top 20 anime openings of all time and while this list may change in the future, these are all exceptional openings that I greatly enjoy. Please be aware that these are my opinions, so if you don't see your favorites, don't be upset :) Take a look and see if you agree with some of my choices :3 Enjoy the music~


Honorable Mention -  Anime - Cardcaptor Sakura
                                     "Catch You Catch Me" - Gumi


Comments: This opening is so special to me because Cardcaptor Sakura is one of the first anime I have ever watched. It was absolutely captivating and made me into the anime fan that I am today. This is also one of the few openings I actually know all the words to and I never remember song lyrics, so that means something!

#20 - Anime - RahXephon
         "Hempisphere" - Maaya Sakamoto


Comments: This is the opening that made me love Maaya Sakamoto and her music. She has such an alluring voice and can sing so many different styles of music. The opening sequence feels mysterious and dramatic, perfect for this mecha series. An opening very well made.

#19 - Anime - Toradora
          "Pre-Parade" - Kugimiya Rie, Yui Horie, and Kitamura Eri


Comment: Not only is the song catchy, but the animation during this opening is awesome. I love that every main character is focused on, as opposed to one character getting 75% of the screen time. This opening really highlighted all the great points of Toradora. It shows the character's traits and abilities very artistically.

#18 - Anime - Nana
         "WISH" - Olivia inspi' Reira


Comment: What a perfect opening to an amazing anime. The song has great vocals and emotion, which Nana is filled with. The art and animation fit this realistic anime so beautifully. I really enjoy seeing a vacant 707 and I feel as if this opening foreshadows what happens in the anime. All of the openings and endings for Nana are pretty awesome, but "Wish" has to be my favorite :)

#17 - Anime - Rainbow: Nisha Rokubo no Shichinin
         "We are not alone" - Coldrain


Comment: This opening helped me discover Coldrain; one of my favorite bands to this date. "We are not alone", is such a strong song and it really makes this opening intense! You can almost feel all the loss and emotions that occurs in this anime. I also enjoy how we are able to see a bit of each characters' pasts.

#16 - Anime - Toaru Majitsu no Index
         "Masterpiece" - Mami Kawada


Comments: I love how the beginning starts off sounding like a bunch of garbled noise and images and then jumps into the actual song. Such a fun opening featuring many of the main cast, its hard not to enjoy it.

#15 - Anime - Ga-Rei-Zero
         "Paradise Lost" - Minori Chihara


Comments: I actually saw this song performed live and wow it was amazing. Both the song and the opening start off slow and then pick up extremely. A strong opening indeed.

#14 - Anime - Psycho-Pass
         "Abnormalize" - Ling Toshite Shigure


Comment: Those red blood cells are just awesome, what can I say? I love the contrast of colors and the creative use of the characters. The song is great too. Fits the mysterious mood of the anime very well in my opinion.

#13 - Anime - Wolf's Rain
         "Stray" - Steve Conte


Comment: First off, the soundtrack of Wolf's Rain is just amazing. It's no surprise that the opening song would be amazing as well. You can feel the overall tone of the anime through this opening and it is very strong.

#12 - Anime - Ghost Hound
         "Poltergeist" - Kojima Mayumi


Comment: I absolutely love the jazzy feel to the song and how the opening really follows the beat of the music. It's a very unique opening and that's what makes it special.

#11 - Anime - Maria+Holic
         "Hanaji" - Yuu Kobayashi


Comment: Both the song and opening animation are so eccentric. It's exciting to watch and the song is also very catchy. Although Maria+Holic isn't a favorite anime of mine, the opening did stick with me. I loved the whole paint can concept too ^.^

#10 -  Anime - Shangri-la
          "Kimi Shinitamou Koto Nakare" - May'n


Comment: The beginning of this opening is just beautiful. It makes you feel like you are "flying" towards such a great story. The song, art, and animation fit so well together. A truly awesome opening.

#9 - Anime - Highschool of the Dead
       "HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD and Gone" - Kishida Kyoudan and the Akeboshi Rockets


Comment: The artwork for this anime was very well done in my opinion . Combine that with an awesome song, action packed scenes, and good animation, and you have a solid opening.

#8 - Anime - Last Exile
        "Cloud Age Symphony" - Shuntaro Okino


Comment: The beginning of the opening sounds kind of strange and you might be confused by it, but after those few seconds the opening is genius. I love all the clouds and the who concept of, "keep on flying." The entire sequence is just dreamy and emphasizes the mood of the anime.

#7 - Anime - Soul Eater
       "Soul Resonance" - T.M. Revolution


Comments: I love how we see all the main characters and I love the little "tour" of Death City at the beginning.

#6 - Anime - Deadman Wonderland
       "One Reason" - DWB feat. fade


Comment: You can feel the evil in this anime through just the opening. I like that. Song is awesome, animation is awesome. A fantastic job.

#5 - Anime - Attack on Titan
       "Guren no Yumiya" - Linked Horizon


Comment: You knew this was coming, right? I think this is a majority of people's favorite anime opening of last summer. Can't blame them though, it's amazing.

#4 - Anime  - Elfen Lied
       "Lilium" - Kumiko Noma


Comment: Honestly, I can't watch the anime past episode 6, but the manga is epic. Watching this opening is haunting and almost sad. It's so powerful, even though nothing major occurs in this opening sequence. That's what makes it so strong.

#3 -  Anime - Eden of the East
         "Falling Down" - OASIS


Comment: This opening really only works with the original song, not the song they put for the English dub. "Falling Down", was a perfect song to fit this anime. This opening is just so mysterious, I love it!

#2 - Anime - Ergo Proxy
       "Kiri" - MONORAL


Comment: Absolutely liberating and captivating. A perfect opening.

#1 - Anime - Ghost in the Shell
       "Rise" and "Inner Universe" - Origa



Comment: I could just not choose which I loved more than the other. The songs and the animation worked so well together. Everything tied in so perfectly.


1 comment:

  1. Ga-Rei-Zero's opening, and the series itself, is kind of underrated. I do not hear many people talk about it, but it is really good.

    Great list though! Steins;Gate's op is another favorite, and of course Attack on Titan's opening is just freaking epic.

    Cool blog too!

    -James

    ReplyDelete